Thursday, August 21, 2008

The first week. More or less.

So, today is Thursday and I have pretty much finished my first week teaching. Tomorrow I am going over the laboratory procedures, protocols, and safety. I think that the week went well. I did have a few instances where I thought that I was running out of material to go over before the end of the class periods, but I usually had enough to make it to the end. My classroom procedures are very detailed and I think that some of my students were surprised at that. As the week progressed, a couple classes appeared to be testing me as to whether or not I would be strict when it came top enforcing them. I may have eased back from them somewhat, and that may burn me before the year is up. I want my students to be comfortable in my class and exchanging ideas with each other and me. I just need to keep them on task and reigned in as far as the open conversation goes.

Lesson planning is something that I am still apprehensive about. It's not that I don't think that I can develop them, it's just that I have a tendency to be very, very detailed when it comes to writing them out. That tokes a lot of time. Between prepping for four different subjects, getting all the materials and equipment together for labs and, sometimes, class, taking care of being a student and completing the assignments related to my graduate program, and spending time with my family (wife and 3 children, the youngest of which is almost 8 months old) along with all the other responsibilities that come with every day life (church, parents, siblings, in-laws, friends, etc.), my time is stretched to say the least. I am just very thankful that I have a spouse that is very supportive, helpful, understanding, loving, patient, and a great resource (she is a 10 year veteran teacher).

No comments: